Publication of Registration
When a design is registered, or in cases where deferred publication has expired, the Controller publishes the following particulars in the Patents Office Journal.
- The registration number of the design;
- The name and address of the registered proprietor;
- The address for service;
- The date of registration;
- A representation of the design;
- A brief description of the design;
- Where applicable, the priority date and the name of the state, country, territory or area in respect of which priority is claimed and the filing number;
- The class or classes, including sub-classes; and a statement of the product or products to or in which the design is to be applied or incorporated.
The Patents Office Journal is published fortnightly and is available free online or copies may be purchased from the Patents Office. In addition to publication in the Journal, the design register is made available for public inspection.
Deferment of publication
Publication of a design may be deferred at the request of the applicant on payment of the relevant prescribed deferment fees for a period of up to 30 months from the filing date, or where priority is claimed, for a period of up to 30 months from the date of priority. In such cases the Controller will not make the registration available to the public or publish the design until the period of deferment has expired, or at any earlier date on request by the registered proprietor.